Wednesday, January 28, 2009

little old me with a little old blog.

It took an uncomfortably long time for me to admit to myself (and Matt) that not only did I want a blog, but I kind of needed one.

I tried to believe my own anachronistic snobbery about the romanticism and dying art of my handwritten journals and the true artistic dedication it takes to actually print out copies of all the trivial but (I think) beautiful photographs documenting the marvelous things I've noticed or experienced or eaten or created. But alas, even I have to admit the blog has come to be a unique and rather useful medium - and one whose ever-tempting wiles I can no longer ignore.

I think the realization finally hit when I created the "culinary dalliances" photo album in Picasa on my husband's computer last week (which, incidentally, I have taken hostage since my Mac decided to rebel for the first time in the 5 years I've had it). I suddenly realized that relentlessly harassing my relatively limited circle of close friends and family with what must seem to them trivial and continual updates on the latest thing I'd cooked, creation I'd knitted, or place we'd visited was probably not kosher as far as cyber-etiquette goes.

So this little old blog, which is actually rather new, will be the much needed outlet for little old me. I'm hoping the aforementioned circle of friends and family (ahem) will use it to keep up to date with the many (though generally uneventful) and exciting (in my humble opinion) dalliances I indulge in from our flat in London and the areas surrounding it.

Like me, my musings will diverge into territories which could generally be considered so varied and random that they are, none of them, particularly serious. And like me again, it is in that respect that they are most consistent and probably most amusing. If you know me, you know I love to try almost anything (unless it involves scaling vertical stone surfaces without harnasses and/or rodents) and would say that most of the time, no matter what the intended and actual outcomes of my undertakings, I thoroughly enjoy them too.

It is in this spirit that I hope to share my impressions with you.

On that note, I think I'll close with a quote from one of my favorite poets of all time, whose rumination rings particularly true on the subject of aesthetic dallying and the living of life in general:

"Let life happen to you. Believe me: life is in the right, always."
Rainer Maria Rilke
Follow Me on Pinterest

1 comment:

  1. Yeah! I'm glad you gave into the 'tempting wiles' of the blogosphere. I just subscribed!

    ReplyDelete