Tuesday, March 31, 2009

April tomorrow?! Better get on that knitting.


Say hello to Ludovictus.

Well, it's official: I'm absolutely ready for the baby to come out. A woman can only go have coffee or lunch or whatever with other pregnant women so many times before she starts to have a desperate feeling that the term "lady of leisure" has taken on a whole new and not-so-flattering meaning. That, coupled with an uncontrollable urge to gnaw her own arm off out of boredom, can really make anyone reconsider any impending fear of sleepless nights or painful deliveries.

Luckily, I still have my knitting to cling to. My mom calls me a spider an
d I think maybe my friends are starting to think the same thing because when I'm not fiendishly crawling around my cave plotting what to eat next, I'm weaving a veritable web of baby clothes.

Here are the most recent additions to the previous collection of 1 (aka the green cardigan):


1. After making my green cardigan, I decided to dig through the proverbial stash and pick something suitable out for a baby boy's scarfling. I then also took the project one step further (I am hardcore) and decided to make the scarf a two-toned ditty (big deal for a beginner knitter) b
y using up some of the pea green cashmerino I had left over from the cardigan. Here is the finished set:

Don't hate them because they're beautiful.


2.
As mentioned in my Childlike Glee post my next project was the Debbie Bliss Shawl-collared jacket. I made this little thing in record time (pregnancy-driven mania will do that to you) and just when I was ready to put on the finishing touches, I realized I had accidentally thrown away the pretty little buttons I bought for it at Peter Jones. I still haven't gone back to get more, so here it is sans buttons. Still pretty darn cute if you ask me.




3. In a last-ditch effort to quell my obsessive contemplation of every movement in my belly, I knitted this number a week ago or so with some Debbie Bliss Cathay yarn I found on sale at Peter Jones. Lovely. And I even had enough left over to start on a pair of socks to match. I'm about 3/4 through the first one and now that I've officially put my gym membership on hold, I think I'll probably finish that and the second off in the next couple of days. :)


L's Dr. Seuss-y hat and soon-to-be matching socks.


* * *

On a somewhat tangentially related note: Matt and I made my top secret chocolate chip cookies with nuts this weekend (which we devoured in record time) and he suggested something I'd dared only contemplate: after making a dozen or so to last us for a couple of days, we froze the remaining cookie dough in pre-portioned balls and plan on Matt throwing them into the oven to bake right before we head to the Birth Center to have the baby.

How happy of a laboring woman am I going to be with warm-out-of-the-oven chocolate chip cookies with nuts in my hands and tummy and there for me to nibble on intermittently during the subsequent madness? Bravo Matteo. :)

Follow Me on Pinterest

2 comments:

  1. My god, you're talented I can't get anywhere near a knitting needle and produce anything. I love the cookie dough idea - very Martha (Stewart). I bet it will be a sanity saver for later. Hang in there - the count down is on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your work is wonderful! I've been knitting for a couple of years but have not yet graduated to sweaters like these (unless they can be knit in one piece). For the most part, I'm still at the scarves- and ponchos-level. You do have an outstanding cookie/birth plan - forget Lamaze! 8-D

    ReplyDelete